Sticky Toffee Pudding with Bourbon Caramel
It’s that time of year again! Who has started their holiday baking and does sticky toffee pudding something that makes your Christmas recipe list? This is my go to holiday dessert. You can make it ahead of time. It freezes beautifully and it is individually sized! Let me know if this makes it onto your Xmas menu!
8 ounces chopped pitted dried dates (15-20 pitted dates)
1 1/2 cups boiling hot water
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs at room temp
3-4 tbsp molasses
1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Bourbon Caramel Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
Flakes of sea salt
1 tbsp bourbon (or sub vanilla for non alcoholic)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour muffin tins.
- Add the dates and water to a blender. Add boiling water and soak.
- In a large bowl, cream, butter, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the molasses and beat well.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in three additions and mix until smooth. (Make sure to scrape the bowl! )
- Puree the date mixture in your blender. Stir in the baking soda then add to the batter.
- Spoon batter into well-greased and floured muffin tins and bake for about 18-20 minutes at 350F
- Let cool slightly before removing from tins.
- For your caramel, melt butter on stove top. Whisk in sugar. Boil a couple of mins. Add heavy cream. Boil a couple of minutes more. Take off burner. Add pinch of flaked salt, bourbon and stir.
- Serve with ice cream!