Part of our role in keeping our customers and employees healthy and safe means that routine cleaning and disinfecting is of great importance. This recommendation document is intended to provide guidance for our routine cleaning and disinfecting, highlight the difference between the meaning of cleaning and the meaning of disinfecting, and reinforce the need for appropriate protective gear while cleaning and disinfecting.
Communicable Disease safety measures that need to be in place include:
- Cleaning and disinfection of highly touched surfaces.
- Frequent hand-washing.
- Providing hand hygiene options for customers.
Frequency of Cleaning and Disinfecting Required:
Cleaning and Disinfecting of all high contact areas is required at least once every four hours.
A High Touch Cleaning and Disinfecting checklist has been created for documenting and tracking that cleaning and disinfecting is performed at least every four hours. It is laminated and posted for daily completion and reuse the next day. Please refer to Physical Distancing & Sanitation policy for specific protocol at checkouts.
High contact areas on the checklist include:
- All door handles, including all entrance, exit, cooler, freezer and container handles, throughout the premises, as well as swing door surfaces.
- Deli surfaces, including the service counter, tables and prep areas.
- PIN pads, cheque stands, tops of cash lanes, scanners, till keyboards, and all surfaces at checkouts.
- All shopping cart and basket handles.
- Computer keyboards, mice, and areas surrounding workstation surfaces.
- Communication book areas.
- All washroom surfaces and ensuring adequate supply of hand soap is available.
- Employee break room surfaces.
- Trash receptacle touch points.
In addition to cleaning, deep cleaning is conducted by employees before every store opening and after every store closing.
Cleaning products are products that remove germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces by using soap (or detergent) and water. Cleaning does not necessarily kill germs, but by removing them, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection. Hard surfaces should be cleaned using regular surface cleaning products or soap and water prior to disinfection.
Read and follow manufacturer’s instructions for safe use of cleaning products. It is mandatory to wear gloves while cleaning and to wash hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds immediately on glove removal.
Disinfecting products (store-bought disinfectant solutions and/or sprays) kill germs on surfaces using chemicals. Read and follow manufacturer’s instructions for safe use of disinfection products (use in well-ventilated areas, allow enough contact time for disinfectant to kill germs based on the product being used). It is mandatory to wear gloves while disinfecting and to wash hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds immediately on glove removal.
Sanitization of Carts & Baskets:
- All used baskets are to be taken to a designated area in store to be sanitized prior to future use.
- Once sanitized, baskets can be returned to stands.
- Carts are to be sanitized at minimum, every 30 minutes, including handles and baskets.